What You Need to Know to Start Fundraising.
Fundraising, it may be the single most difficult thing for some people to do. Procrastination. Cold sweats. Complete fear. Yet, it’s a task so simple . . . asking for support.
We’ve all heard the arguments before . . .
- You shouldn’t have to ask.
- God knows your needs.
- You should pay for it yourself.
The fact is . . . communicating with potential supporters for your mission experience can and should be one of the most exciting and rewarding parts of the process. And, quite honestly, it is a command from God (1 Timothy 6:17).
You’re not asking for you. You’re asking for them. You’re giving them an opportunity to join in the cause, to put their hope in Christ, and to store up treasures where moth and rust do not destroy (Matthew 6:19). And you never know how God is going to use you.
- Giving changes people. The Lord reminds us that “where our treasure is, there will our heart be also” (Matthew 6:21).
- Giving blesses people. The Bible tells us “it is better to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35). It’s not just a saying. It’s actually true.
- Giving serves people. The Scriptures confirm that our giving not only supplies the needs of God’s people, but overflows in thanks to God (2 Corinthians 9:12).
If that’s all true, why would we not want to get others involved? Why would we not want to share this blessing with them, challenge them, and watch God work through them?
Keep in mind:
- This is their chance to get involved in a mission you believe in.
- This is your open door to bless them by sharing what God is doing in your life.
- This is their opportunity to take hold of the life that is truly life (1 Timothy 6:17-19).
You’re not asking people to support you. You’re asking them to join the cause . . . to honor the Lord with their giving!