Fundraising for your trip may seem like a daunting task, but don’t be intimidated! There are endless possibilities for raising the funds you need to serve at Dorie’s Promise. Dozens of individuals participate in FCI missions every year, and time after time, God provided the means for each person to go. Sometimes the only thing you need to do is try!
Whether you need to raise money to attend or want to raise extra funds to donate to our home or community outreach, here are just a few ideas that have worked for teams and individuals in the past.
If you’re going on a mission trip with a team from your church:
- Hold a Garage Sale – At the right location during prime garage sale hours, you can raise hundreds for your trip. Ask neighbors, family, or friends at church to donate items for your sale – the results will surprise you!
- Do a Car Wash – Many grocery stores are willing to facilitate car washes for a good cause, and many people are generous with their gifts. Ask a store manager in your area, set a date, and watch the cars roll in.
- Have a Bake Sale – One of these at school or at church can be hugely successful. Break out your favorite recipes, and ask friends and family to contribute.
- Host a Benefit Dinner – This can be as simple as a potluck where food is served by donation, or as elaborate as a formal dinner. Get your friends and family to help by donating items that could be bid on during a silent auction. It will amaze you how much can be raised.
- Go on a Picnic – With a barbecue, a dad, and a sunny afternoon, you can serve your church or families of your team members by donation. And be sure to tell everyone in attendance all about Dorie’s Promise Guatemala!
- Ask your Friends, Family, and Co-workers for Support - It should be no surprise to you that the greatest source of support most mission trip participants receive is from the people closest to them. If you have a moment of doubt or hesitation when you go to them asking for support, don’t worry! These are the people who love you the most – and many consider it a privilege to support the ones they love.
- Approach Your Church’s Leadership – Many churches are happy to stand alongside their members as they take the initiative to serve the Lord. Depending on your church’s situation, they may be willing to fund part or all of your trip’s expenses.
- Give a Presentation at Your Church – When you approach the leadership of your church, you may get an open door to share about your mission trip in front of your congregation. Despite what you may think, you do not have to be a professional public speaker to do this! Even if you are nervous, it’s your heart that matters and shows through. As your church family hears of the financial need for your trip, they will be more than happy to lend a helping hand.
- Send letter to local businesses – As they hear about where you are going and who you plan to serve, many business owners may be excited to support you. Make sure to follow up with a thank-you!
Trip Expense 2015
Fees paid to Forever Changed International
|7 nights/8 days in Guatemala||Amount
|Dorie’s Promise Donation||$350|
Fees paid directly by you at time of service
Roundtrip ticket per person varies by season as well as geographical location.
Please book your airfare at least 60 days prior to travel to assure that you will have tickets available for your specified dates. By booking in advance, you not only secure your dates but are able to get less expensive tickets.
Fee schedule 2015
Below is the schedule for all funds payable to Forever Changed International in order to participate in an FCI mission trip.
$350.00 – Due with missions contract at the time of application
$375.000 – Due 60 days prior to departure
$375.00 – Due 30 days prior to departure
All fees are non-refundable once paid
In order to efficiently prepare for your arrival in Guatemala, we ask that the documents below be returned to us within the specified time frame.
Online Application – Please submit your application with your $325 deposit LINK to secure your space on a team.
Medical Release/Liability Waiver – Please sign and return to our main office within 14 days of acceptance into the program.
For anyone under 18 who participates, your medical release and liability waiver must be signed by a parent or guardian. We require notarization of parents’ signatures.
Travel Itinerary - Please email your travel itinerary to Naomi Beazely at least 60 days prior to travel.
The U.S. government does not require you to have any vaccinations to enter the country of Guatemala. Forever Changed International follows the U.S. State Department’s recommendations. If you still wish to vaccinate, here is a link for ideas on what vaccinations are recommended for travel to Latin America.
You should see your general physician to see which shots are needed for the trip. They will take into consideration your destination and your immunization record.
Forever Changed International recommends that you have an updated HEP-A, HEP-B, and Tetanus.
Please check with your health care provider so you are aware of how to handle billing issues should you need to receive care while you are in Guatemala. Some health insurance companies have specific instructions for their clients who travel outside of the U.S.
A valid passport is required to travel to Guatemala. The process to get a passport can take several months unless you pay extra to expedite. If your passport is set to expire while you are in Guatemala, you will need to have it renewed prior to your departure.
You can use the U.S. State Department site to find everything you need to know about:
- Applying for a passport
- Renewing a passport
- Processing times
- Photo requirement
Please keep a copy of your passport while you are in Guatemala, in case you lose yours, the U.S. embassy would require a copy to issue you a new one.
Please register with the State Department. Registration of your passport will ensure that a new passport will be issued to you efficiently by the U.S. embassy in Guatemala City in case of loss or theft.
Items for Dorie’s Promise
If you’d like to bring items for donations to Dorie’s Promise please go to our donations registry to see what the current need is.